ROCKCLIFF SYOMEN CHRISTIE

 





What is a Creation?

Let me tell you the story of the man who made me Naomi Christie.

Rockcliff Syomen Christie born to parents Eglantine Grannum Christie and Joseph Christie on Wednesday, 8th April, 1931 was second of eleven children. He grew up in Vergenoegen, Essequibo, very familiar with the country life he tended to the family's farm with goats and other animals, his father being a Cattle Farmer and all. 


From a young age Daddy knew the important of hard work. Courageous, Independent, Focused are just a few words to describe what I thought of my father's work ethic and thinking at such a young age. 

Growing up humble, knowing he was the eldest male, and had to provide for his family, he left for Georgetown at the tender age of 14 for betterment. He sought after the technical field; carpentry and masonry at Sprostons Dock and Foundary Company as an Apprentice. He said and I'm quoting Daddy's Words :

"YOU LEARN ALOT OF THINGS THERE - CARPENTRY, JOINERY, WELDING, BOATBUILDING, AND IT IS THERE I LEARNED TO MAKE CROCHET NEEDLES AND KNIVES WHICH I SOLD AT THE MARKET, AS WELL AS COMBS AND CURLERS".

He served there for 5 years while simultaneously pursing part-time secondary education to improve his academic side. At this time he was residing at Curtis Street Albouystown.

Seeking to improve standard of living, Rockcliff began job hunting at Mackenzie Linden. The ambitious youth overheard some army men talking about walking through the cattle trail and going to Brazil. At the age of 20, he packed his belonging and headed South. This trek on foot took him about two weeks. He spent a year between Boa Vista, Brazil and Guyana, doing all sorts of work to earn an income. 

After that year, he refused to stop there in his engineering knowledge and wanted to expand those skills. He acquired passage and left these shores, setting sail for England in 1956. He was all by himself in an unknown country. He sought boarding and loading at the Salvation Army Headquarters and managed to acquire a job with British Railways as a Labourer.

He spent 10 years in England and this afforded him promotions with the company, and the flexible hours permitted him to pursue tertiary education. Rockcliff attended South West Technical College for two years and completed the Ordinary National Certificate in Building after which he moved on to East Ham College in East London in 1965. He graduated two years later with his Higher National Certificate in Building Engineering. He received Technical Training from Acne Technical College in London and awarded Diplomas in Architectural Draftsmanship, Building Designs and Civil Engineering.

Upon returning to Guyana in 1966, Daddy was offered a job as District Engineer with the Ministry of Works and Hydraulics. I recall him telling me that he was apart of the erection of arches around the capital city as Guyana was preparing to gain independence. He was also apart of building many of this country's bridges and structures. 

He spent ten years running the Mahaicony to Itahca area as District Engineer. He was in charge of all the technical works, repairing, assessing and maintaining roads, buildings and pure water supply.

His creations are all around us. Black Bush Polder Road, Mahaicony Branch Road, Canje Bridge, Chalets at the Psychiatric Hospital and the Roadways from Rosignal to Georgetown. In fact I'm never afraid to travel or drive myself around the whole of Guyana because I feel my Dad's touch in the infrastructure everywhere. Lol.

Daddy was further economically driven and used his engineering skills to create the Little Rock Hotel in Vryman's Erven. He was gaining an interest in business, and there met my mom Shabela Dindial we call her 'Pearl' from which union had me. The two of them worked to build this little hotel they created, providing their customers with delicious food and entertainment. Daddy met all the Guyanese Cricketers staying at our hotel and that was so great, because he really loves the game. ( I know this because he forgot to pick me up because the cricket game run into extra innings and if you know my dad he's never late coming to pick me up after school).

Their customers wanted to see television, so my parents got into the business of making video cassettes available to them, however he solved that issue in a more permanent way by opening Berbice's first television station - LRTVS CH 10. He started with 15 wats and not very long after it was 60, 100 and then 1000 watts covering the entire Berbice. 

In 2005, Daddy's engineering skills were put to the test again and he designed and built one of Berbice's most popular hotels, Little Rock Suites located at 10 Main & Church Streets. Daddy would say " I used to tell people what it would cost me to build anywhere, it will cost them double". The Egineer knows how to economize on materials and design. 

The fact remains, Daddy was highly practical and extremely logical, and if there was a need whether by this town which was his external family or his family, he was practical in providing means of getting it done for example the Radio Station - 88.5 Rock FM. He loves music and entertainment, he loves to see people happy and if you can turn your ideas and creations into a business venture so you can provide a happy life for your family and the people of Berbice, then he went for it. He did it without blinking twice. Thats Courage, Wisdom and Boldness that should be applauded.

My father was hardworking, strong, loving and gentle. He loved his family deeply devoted to my mother. I learned from Dad the Value of Hard Work. He woke up everyday, put on his shoes and went to work to provide for our family. I learned from my Dad the value of Education, to be well read and treat people kindly and to always use my voice. 

So what is Creation?  The first question I posited, Creation is the action or process of bringing something into existence. You heard me list all the roads, bridges and buildings dad was responsible for his creations,  He showed strength and love right up to his final moments and I am honoured to be his Creation.

Grief is just love, with no place to go. All I have is Love for you Daddy. Edelweiss. 

Naomi Eglantine Christie

Comments